Rory’s father Brian Ring developed a passion for northern Ontario. Emigrating from Britain in 1954 aboard the Franconia at the age 21 and with $11 in his pocket he, like many, landed at Pier 21 in Halifax and made his way to Hamilton to establish his life. As married young man, Brian and Mary camped extensively in the north as did many people just entering their careers and family life. As an affordable holiday and way to see this great province and country. When sons Dean and Rory came along Brian and Mary took their sons on many adventures throughout Northern Ontario and along the shores of the Superior resulting in many tales told throughout the years at family gatherings and with friends and family overseas.
Like his father Rory has found his passion for Northern Ontario and Sault Ste. Marie. Travelling here a few years ago for Chamber business, and earlier to celebrate a local friends’ marriage, he and his spouse Michelle Cecchini fell for everything the Sault and area offered and its people.
Rory and Michelle’s son’s, daughter in-laws and grandson enjoy the community and surrounding area. Rory and Michelle are passionate advocates about all that can be offered here and that there is great opportunity and possibility for a vibrant, thriving Sault Ste. Marie.
A lifelong advocate for community, small business and prosperity for all, Rory looks forward to bringing his professional and life experience to the position of Mayor. With over 25 years experience in non-partisan government relations, economic development, finance, technology growth, business development, governance and senior level management, his skill set has been well seasoned and ready to give his leadership with Council and Community to the Sault Ste. Marie of the future.
- MBA, Marketing and International Business
- BA, Political Science
- Business Retention & Expansion Consultant (1998/99)
- Sault Ste. Marie Chamber of Commerce, CEO (Current Leave of Absence)
- Sault Ste. Marie Economic Development Corp., former Board Director Liaison
- Sault Ste. Marie Downtown Association, Board of Director (Current Leave of Absence)
- Sault Ste. Marie Local Immigration Partnership, Partner (Current Leave of Absence)
- Future SSM: Downtown Development Committee (Current Leave of Absence)
- Sarnia Lambton Chamber of Commerce, President & CEO
- Bluewater Technology Access Centre, Advisory Board of Director, Chair
- Southern Ontario Fund for Investment in Innovation (SOFII)
- FreightGuard Security Seals, President /Owner Operator
- TD Bank, Commercial Account Manager
- CIBC, Small Business Account Manager
- Business Growth Services ‘Canadian Community Investment Plan’ (CCIP), Project Manager
- Community Growth Accelerator Network (CGAN), Committee Member
- London Small Business Centre, Business Counsellor